Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Hula Hip Trip

One of the first lessons I learned as a stay-at-home-mom: If you are going to go shoe shopping for only one child, do not take both.  If you are going to go shoe shopping for the one year old, leave the 3 year old at home.  Why?  Because she has a freakishly innate ability to ask for the most expensive shoes that Target has on display. And proceed to throw a fit until that pair of shoes hit the inside of our shopping cart.

So why, you may ask, when it came time today for me to get Beanie a new pair of tennis shoes for outside play, I forgot above rule, carting both girls to the local Target???  The answer is: I don't have an answer.  It's cos I plum forgot.  And so yes, both girls got new shoes today.

Thinking that was the end of the shopping struggle, I then made another cardinal sin/mistake: I accidentally went down the toy aisle.  Oh, not just any toy aisle mind you, the OUTSIDE TOY aisle.  You see, ever since we unpacked Sophia's old princess-crawl-thru-tunnel for Georgia, and then consequently wrapped it back up when interest was lost, Sophia thought the round, wrapped up version was a Hula "Hip".  Far too heavy to get any good momentum going, the tunnel-cum-hula-"hip" wasn't working out for her.  So she started campaigning for the last week for her very own, very real, hula hip.  Which brings me back to my cardinal sin: the outdoor toy aisle.  Lo and behold, down this very aisle, was not only a real Hula Hip, but it GLOWED....how could I say no to that?  Easy, I could.  And I did.  But did it fall on deaf ears?  Indeed it did.  In the cart the Hula Hip went....

Lesson(s) re-RE-learned.   The 3 year old, scratch that, BOTH girls will be staying home next time I go shoe shopping any sort of Target shopping.  But I think Mommy may pick up a new pair of shoes for herself on the next trip. Ya know, for the effort....

No comments:

Post a Comment