Sunday, October 17, 2010

Carving Out Memories

As the girls get older, I get much more demanding about carving out time (pun intended) to do things with them that will create memories. Now, I'm no Kate Gosselin, trying to set up ridiculous and fake happenstance just in the name of "memory-building".  But I will make sure that b/c they are finally old enough to get into activities, that we make sure we take them on the fun little trips; especially ones associated with holiday.  Which brings us to our first ever Burtnett Pumpkin Picking Trip, 2010.

Much to the dismay of my husband, I insisted on dragging everyone out promptly at 1:00 which coincided with the Browns game.  However, given the season at hand, I could assure him that we were missing nothing.  Not to mention, it was already set up on the DVR.  But once we got there, I was pretty sure all his resentment over the game had dissolved once *both* of the girls erupted in screams when we pulled in.

The first thing Sophia demanded on doing was the hayride.  She had never been on one, and at the risk of aging myself, I'm pretty sure it had been a good 20 years since I was on one myself.  So in line we got.  It was a gorgeous fall day, sunny and low 60's.  So, as one can imagine, the lines were already forming.  The waits weren't too awful, and surely enough to withstand to give the girls a chance at trying some new experiences. 

The hayride was a blast.  The hot dogs that followed for lunch tasted great, though I'm not sure if it was the hot dogs themselves, or the open air, happy children, and beautiful weather.  After that it was off to the play area - which pretty much consisted of a huge hay pit where kids could run, romp, jump and toss hay at each other.

The last item of the trip was the picking of the pumpkins.  So we ran over the cordoned-off patch, and set out picking out the best sizes and shapes.  This particular farm had a neat little deal - all the pumpkins you could pick up for $13.  Brian did very well, picking up all of the 5 pumpkins we set out for him.  He also insists that, in future re-tellings of the story, that he was fully capable of picking up MORE than 5 (since the record was 13) but we still a far walk to the car, and we failed to think of bringing along a wagon for the pumpkins.

It was a wonderful day for the kids, I (of course) got my 100-or-so requisite pictures snapped, and we were then on our way home to start the carving.  (That I will save for another entry).

No comments:

Post a Comment